to Table of Contents
Texts That Moulded George Müller
CERTAIN marked Scripture precepts
and promises had such a singular influence upon this man of God, and so often
proved the guides to his course, that they illustrate Psalm cxix.105:
"Thy word is
a lamp unto my feet,
And a light unto my path."
- Those texts which, at the parting
of the way, became to him God's sign-boards, showing him the true direction,
are here given, as nearly as may be in the order in which they became so helpful
to him. The study of them will prove a kind of spiritual biography, outlining
his career. Some texts, known to have been very conspicuous in their influence,
we put in capitals. The italics are his own.
- "GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD THAT
HE GAVE HIS ONLY-BEGOTTEN SON, THAT WHOSOEVER BELIEVETH IN HIM SHOULD NOT
PERISH, BUT HAVE EVERLASTING LIFE." (John iii.16.)
- "Cursed be the man that trusteth
in man and maketh flesh his arm." (Jeremiah xvii.5.)
- "O, fear the Lord, ye His
saints; for there is no want to them that fear Him." (Psa.
- "Owe no man anything, but
to love one another." (Rom. xiii.8.)
- "SEEK YE FIRST THE KINGDOM
OF GOD AND HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS; AND ALL THESE THINGS SHALL BE ADDED UNTO YOU."
- "The holy scriptures, which
are able to make thee wise unto salvation." (2 Tim. iii.15.)
- "Ask, and it shall be given
you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: for
every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that
knocketh it shall be opened." (Matt. vii.7,8.)
- "WHATSOEVER YE SHALL ASK
IN MY NAME, THAT WILL I DO, THAT THE FATHER MAY BE GLORIFIED IN THE SON: IF
YE SHALL ASK ANYTHING IN MY NAME I WILL DO IT." (John
- "Therefore I say unto you,
Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, and what ye shall drink,
nor yet for your body what ye shall put on... Take, therefore, no thought
for the morrow." (Matt. vi. 25-34.)
- "If any man will do His will,
he shall know of the doctrine." (John vii.17.)
- "If ye continue in My word,
then are ye My disciples indeed; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth
shall make you free." (John viii.31,32.)
- "And the eunuch said, See,
here is water: what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou
believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe
that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. And they went down both into the water,
both Philip and the eunuch, and he baptized him." (Acts
- "Know ye not that so many
of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into His death? Therefore
we are buried with Him by baptism into death." (Rom. vi.3,
- "Upon the first day of the
week, when the disciples came together to break bread." (Acts
- "My brethren, have not the
faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons.
For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel,
and there come in also a man in vile raiment; and ye have respect unto him
that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place;
and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool, are
ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?"
- "Having, then, gifts differing
according to the grace that is given us." (Rom. xii.6.)
- "All these worketh that one
and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will."
(1 Cor. xii.11.)
- "Not because I desire a gift,
but I desire fruit that may abound to your account." (Philip.
- "Take no thought for your
life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body what
ye shall put on"... "Behold the fowls of the air... Consider the
lilies of the field... For your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need
of these things." (Matt. vi.25-32.)
- "Lay not up for yourselves
treasures upon earth." (Matt. vi.19.)
- "SELL THAT YE HAVE AND GIVE
ALMS." (Luke xii.33.)
- "A man can receive nothing
except it be given him from heaven." (John iii.27.)
- "Simeon hath declared how
God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for
His name." (Acts xv.14. Comp. Matt. xiii.24-30, 36-43.)
- "This know also, that in
the last days perilous times shall come... Evil men and seducers shall wax
worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived." (2 Tim. iii.1,13.)
- "Come out from among them,
and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing."
(2 Cor. vi.14-18.)
- "Not by might, nor by power,
but by My spirit, saith the Lord of hosts." (Zech. iv.6.)
- "MY GRACE IS SUFFICIENT FOR
THEE." (2 COR. xii.9.)
- "Let every man abide in the
same calling wherein he was called. Let every man, wherein he is called, therein
abide with God." (1 Cor. vii.20, 24.)
- "All scripture is given by
inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction,
for instruction in righteousness." (2 Tim. iii.16.)
- "OPEN THY MOUTH WIDE, AND
I WILL FILL IT." (Psa. lxxxi.10.)
- "Mine hour is not yet come."
- "He took a child, and set
him in the midst of them and when He had taken him in His arms, He said unto
them, Whosoever shall receive one of such children in My name, receiveth Me;
and whosoever shall receive Me, receiveth not Me, but Him that sent Me."
(Mark ix.36, 37.)
- "If it be possible, as much
as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men." (Rom. xii.18.)
- "For they verily for a few
days chastened us after their own pleasure; but He for our profit, that we
might be partakers of His holiness. Now no chastening for the present seemeth
to be joyous, but grievous; nevertheless, afterward it yieldeth the peaceable
fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby." (Heb.xii.10,11.)
- "WHAT THINGS S0EVER YE DESIRE,
WHEN YE PRAY, BELIEVE THAT YE RECEIVE THEM, AND YE SHALL HAVE THEM."
- "He that believeth on Him
shall not be confounded." (1 Pet. ii.6.)
- "O Thou that hearest prayer,
unto Thee shall all flesh come." (Psa. lxv.2.)
- "Come and hear, all ye that
fear God, and I will declare what He hath done for my soul." (Psa.
- "A FATHER OF THE FATHERLESS."
- "My son, despise not thou
the chastening of the Lord; neither be weary of His correction." (Prov
- "Like as a father pitieth
his children, so the Lord pitieth them that fear Him." (Psa.
- "JESUS CHRIST THE SAME YESTERDAY,
AND TO-DAY, AND FOR EVER." (Heb.xiii.8.)
- " To-morrow shall take thought
for the things of itself."
- "Sufficient unto the day
is the evil thereof." (Matt. vi.34.)
- "Hitherto hath the Lord helped
us." (1 Sam. vii.12.)
- "Oh taste and see that the
Lord is good:"
- "Blessed is the man that
trusteth in Him. (Psalm xxxiv.8.)
- "All the fat is the Lord's."
- "I am poor and needy; yet
the Lord thinketh upon me." (Psa. xl.17.)
- "Delight thyself also in
the Lord, and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart." (Psa.
- "If I regard iniquity in
my heart, the Lord will not hear me." (Psa. Ixvi.18.)
- "Know that the Lord hath
set apart him that is godly for Himself: The Lord will hear when I call unto
Him." (Psa. iv.3.)
- "JEHOVAH JIREH." (The
Lord will provide.) (Gen. xxii.14.)
- "HE HATH SAID, I WILL NEVER
LEAVE THEE, NOR FORSAKE THEE; SO THAT WE MAY BOLDLY SAY, THE LORD IS MY HELPER."
(Heb. xiii.5, 6.)
- "Be thou not one of them
that strike hands, or of those that are sureties for debts." (Prov.
- "He that hateth suretyship
is sure." (Prov. xi.15.)
- "I will very gladly spend
and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be
loved." (2 Cor. xii.15.)
- "Ye are all children of God
by faith in Christ Jesus." (Gal. iii.26.)
- "CASTING ALL YOUR CARE UPON
HIM FOR HE CARETH FOR YOU." (1 Pet. v.7.)
- "Be careful for nothing,
but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests
be made known unto God." (Phil. iv.6.)
- "Said I not unto thee, that,
if thou wouldest believe thou shouldest see the glory of God?" (John
- "WE KNOW THAT ALL THINGS
WORK TOGETHER FOR GOOD TO THEM THAT LOVE GOD." (Rom. viii.28.)
- "Shall not the judge of all
the earth do right?" (Gen. xviii.25.)
- "Of such (little children)
is the kingdom of heaven." (Matt. xix.14.)
- "He that spared not His own
Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely
give us all things?" (Rom. viii.32.)
- "Every good gift and every
perfect gift is from above." (James i.17.)
- "The young lions do lack
and suffer hunger; but they that seek the Lord shall not want any good thing."
- "There is that scattereth
and yet increaseth; and there is that withholdeth more than is meet, but it
tendeth to poverty. The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth
shall be watered also himself." (Prov. xi.24, 25.)
- "Give and it shall be given
unto you: good measure, pressed down and shaken together, and running over,
shall men give unto your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal
it shall be measured to you again." (Luke vi.38.)
- "The liberal deviseth liberal
things; and by liberal things shall he stand." (Isa. xxxii.8.)
- "For ye have the poor with
you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good. (Mark
- "Let not then your good be
evil spoken of." (Rom. xiv.16.)
- "Let your moderation (yieldingness)
be known unto all men." (Phil. iv.5.)
- "MY BRETHREN, COUNT IT ALL
JOY WHEN YE FALL INTO DIVERS TEMPTATIONS (i.e. TRIALS); KNOWING THIS, THAT
THE TRYING OF YOUR FAITH WORKETH PATIENCE, BUT LET PATIENCE HAVE HER PERFECT
WORK, THAT YE MAY BE PERFECT AND ENTIRE, WANTING NOTHING." (James
- "Trust in the Lord with all
thine heart; and lean not into thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge
Him, and He shall direct thy paths." (Prov. iii.5, 6.)
- "The integrity of the upright
shall guide them; but the perverseness of transgressors shall destroy them."
- "Commit thy works unto the
Lord and thy thoughts shall be established." (Prov. xvi.3.)
- "For I say through the grace
given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more
highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God has
dealt to every man the measure faith." (Rom. xii.3.)
- "Wait on the Lord; be of
good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: Wait, I say, on the Lord."
- "After he had patiently endured
he obtained the promise." (Heb. vi.15.)
- " VERILY, VERILY, I SAY UNTO
YOU, WHATSOEVER YE SHALL ASK THE FATHER IN MY NAME, HE WILL GIVE IT YOU."
- "He which soweth sparingly
shall reap also sparing; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully."
(2 Cor. ix.6.)
- "Ye are bought with a price:
therefore, glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."
(1 Cor. vi.20.)
- "THEY THAT KNOW THY NAME
WILL PUT THEIR TRUST IN THEE: FOR THOU, LORD, HAST NOT FORSAKEN THEM THAT
TRUST THEE." (Psa. ix.10.)
- "Thou wilt keep him in perfect
peace whose mind is stayed on Thee, because he trusteth in Thee. Trust ye
the Lord forever; for in the Lord Jehovah is everlasting strength." (Isa.
- "If there be first a willing
mind it is accepted according to that a man hath and not according to that
he hath not." (2 Cor viii.12.)
- "BE YE STEADFAST, UNMOVABLE,
ALWAYS ABOUNDING IN THE WORK OF THE LORD, FOR AS MUCH AS YE KNOW THAT YOUR
LABOUR IS NOT IN VAIN IN THE LORD." (1 Cor. xv.58.)
- "Let us not be weary in well
doing, for in due season we shall reap if we faint not." (Gal.
- "Oh how great is Thy goodness,
which Thou hast laid up for them that fear Thee; which Thou hast wrought for
them that trust in Thee before the sons of men! (Psa. xxxi.19.)
- "THOU ART GOOD AND DOEST
GOOD." (Psa. cxix. 68.)
- "I know, O Lord, that Thy
judgments are right, and that Thou in faithfulness hast afflicted me."
- "My times are in Thy hand."
- "The LORD God is a sun and
shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will He withhold
from them that walk uprightly." (Psa. Ixxxiv.11.)
- "Hold Thou me up and I shall
be safe." (Psa. cxix.117.)
- "Behold I come quickly, and
My reward is with Me, to give to every man according as his work shall be."
- "It is more blessed to give
than to receive." (Acts xx.35.)
- "Give us this day
our daily bread." (Matt. vi.11.)
- "Able to do exceeding abundantly
above all that we ask or think." (Eph. iii.2O.)
- "Them that honour Me I will
honour." (1 Sam. ii.30.)
- "That the trial of your faith,
being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with
fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of
Jesus Christ." (1 Peter i.7.)